\"Cozy\" measured to 162' !!! (video)

• nickfromwi
  • nickfromwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 9 months ago #131728 by nickfromwi
Here's a vid Robert and I made from the top of a ponderosa pine we named Cozy.

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #131730 by oldtimer
We will report you guys to the \"Tree Climbing Police\" for Climbing above your TIP.!

Nice video and nice tree. Funny you revealed the location of the tree in the middle of the video. hehehehehe!

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 9 months ago #131731 by nickfromwi
That I did...but I didn't tell you WHERE in the Angeles/San Bernadino National Forest we were...

Nice try, but you'll never get my secrets!!! :P

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
15 years 9 months ago #131732 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:\"Cozy\" measured to 162' !!! (video)
I like your style. It's only a matter of time before 'Treeclimbing - The Motion Picture' is made!B)

I wouldn't advocate people teaching themselves though. Not everyone is as switched on as you.

How did you use the laser from the top - could you see all the way to the ground from 162ft?

Michael

• nickfromwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 9 months ago #131736 by nickfromwi
Michael, I started from the ground at the base of the tree and got a reading up to about 80'. When I got that limb I took another measurement, and so forth up the tree. When we got to the top I spent 5 or so minutes trying to get a reading all the way to the ground. I couldn't do it, so passed the device to Robert. In the first 30 seconds he got a reading of 158', so we took that added a final measurement of 5' from his \" measuring perch\" to the top of the tree, subtracted a foot just to keep it honest, and
voilà! 162 feet.

Robert and I had climbed this tree several months ago and didnt think about the height until we were at the tippy top. He dropped his throwline
until it he could \"feel\" that it had hit the ground, then we tied a knot at that spot in the throw line. On the ground, we walked out the throwline, laid it next to my climbing line, then went, \" well, my climbing line is a 150, and that is about 10' shy of knot, sooo\" and we called the tree a 160'. The measurement didn't inspire much confidence and seemed a little too good to be true. That's why I wanted to bring something a tad more precise.

I'm with you about everyone not being able to teach themselves. I firmly believe that some one that needs an instructor to learn will either find a good instructor, or they just won't climb.

I love that tree!

love
nick

More
15 years 9 months ago #131757 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:\"Cozy\" measured to 162' !!! (video)
Nick, the way we do it is as follows:

We climb to the top, measure a couple of metres from the tip to where we can sit. I then attach a throw weight to the tape measure and start lowering it. My climbing partner climbs down guiding it through the branches until I radio down to say we are nearing the end of the tape. He then makes a mark with some tape on the trunk and I take a height reading. I then descend to where the tape marker is and we repeat the process to the ground. Few trees in the UK are over 200ft so we can usually do it in just 2 stages.

Michael

More
15 years 5 months ago #132402 by Dean
Nice video :)

More
15 years 5 months ago #132405 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:
nickfromwi wrote:

Here's a vid Robert and I made from the top of a ponderosa pine we named Cozy.

I can't properly comment on this video since I have no audio on this pc... but... it did seem odd to me that I never saw the camera turn toward the trunk of the tree you were in or look up at the portion of the tree that remained above your location.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds