In the Park howling away

• TreeTramp
  • TreeTramp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130071 by TreeTramp
In the Park howling away was created by TreeTramp
We all have are special ways and in each we all can enjoy the best spice of life
variety.

I know those that will only go up on one rope; those who can footlock fasting than I can climb a ladder and then there are the slow as you can go painful to watch but better than watching paint dry but slower.

Each style that I see has one absolute guaranteed element that is why I like to climb- joy.

The folks I climbed with Sunday at my park had smiles that could signal a satellite. Jenifer is disabled low in her back so she wears a brace. But that doesn't stop her from running her wheel chair to take her from her van to her horse to her kayak to her dog training kennel and back. So a little while of rope work and she was beaming.

She told us many things and shared her thoughts but the thing I remember most is when she stated with a smile that she had never been able to look down at her wheelchair before and never imagined that this view was a possibility for her.

Becki got up on my USHBA ascender and like the way it self-advances and then rocks loose to descend so she is shopping online for one now.

Katie had biked a few miles over to the park and was just going to watch until I rigged the swing and pushed her around.
Her rig was a self-advancing Twin Blake’s rig with a foot loop assist. So after bearing thru all my jokes about hanging meat and piñata time she got smoking up and passed three limbs to get up to the very top to blow bubbles with Becki. Grins and giggles at first but we had her barking in no time.

Micah's woof at the top was respectable but needs to hear the other 'yotes out there in the woods to spur him louder. The park is next to my house so the locals are used to me howling while aloft.

Dog walkers new to the area are spooked to hear the invisible dog when they walk by my tree. Up Anchor says the cap'n and we's set are lines tight to surf away.

See you at the top,

Treetramp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130073 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Looking up looking down.
Great share Treetramp. It takes a special person to take a climber out of a wheelchair. It takes real skill beyond mere technical know how to take special needs folks aloft. For sure the experience is "hard wired" into their memory as their first climb comming out of the chair and going vertical. You will always be the master of ceremonies for them when it comes to climbing.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
16 years 9 months ago - 16 years 9 months ago #130074 by sitka12
Replied by sitka12 on topic In the Park howling away
sounds like you guys had a great time! i work with people with disabilities and i have often thought about having them experience tree climbing, but i haven't worked it out in my brain yet. that statement your friend made about looking down at her wheelchair was powerful.

not to be too much of a P.C. butthole, but wheelchair bound individuals prefer to be called "individuals with a disabilities" rather than "cripples". i know you didn't mean anything by it, just thought i would mention it for your information.

happy climbing!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds