• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129927 by moss
The most beautiful tree was created by moss
At least it seemed so at the time...

The Saturday group climb was cancelled due to persistent rain. So my wife and I climbed on Sunday, it still rained but it turned out just fine.

More photos

-moss

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129928 by link774
Replied by link774 on topic The most beautiful tree
Nice photos, moss! Glad the climb went well. That is a very nice looking tree. I'm no expert in tree health, is all that growth dangerous to the tree? I've seen that stuff all over the place but don't know the name of it.

- Link

• moss
  • moss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129929 by moss
Replied by moss on topic The most beautiful tree

Originally posted by Link774
Nice photos, moss! Glad the climb went well. That is a very nice looking tree. I'm no expert in tree health, is all that growth dangerous to the tree? I've seen that stuff all over the place but don't know the name of it.

- Link

Thanks Link.

I'm not sure of the exact species but it is in the family of Greenshield lichens, genus Flavoparmelia. It could be either baltimorensis or caperata. Caperata is known as "Common greenshield lichen". There are several other species of lichens mixed in but the greenshield is dominant.

Lichens are not known to have any negative effect on tree bark. The beech hosting these lichens is in an area where similar sized beeches have been core dated to 300 years old. The tree is exceptionally healthy for a beech of its age and shows no sign of problems from the lichens.

Lichens are thought to have a positive impact on trees and forest ecosystems. They capture nutrients from rainwater and fog and redistribute them into the local ecosystem. By retaining and releasing water slowly after rainfall they can raise humidity in the forest canopy. Lichens can capture nitrogen from the air and make it available in a fixed nitrogen form (required by trees). In the Pacific Northwest forests it has been reported that lichens contribute up to 50% of the nitrogen input for forest ecosytems. (source: Lichens of North America, Brodo, Sharnoff and Sharnoff)
-moss

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129932 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic The most beautiful tree
Moss,
Gorgeous picture. I don't get over to the east coast very often these days, but I'd sure like to climb with you sometime.

Link774,
Lichens seem to do best where the humidity is high and the trees are growing slowly (so that they have time to grow before the bark flakes off). Nothing to worry about with an old beech; all trees slow down growth as they age, and beeches are notable for their ability to survive while growing slowly. You get the best diversity of lichens where the air is clean; since they get all their nutrition from the air they are often used as air pollution indicators.

By the way, are you still in Stamford? I grew up there (walking distance from the Stamford Museum), but I left in 1975 and only go back to visit my Mom.

Cheers,
MF

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129934 by leon123
Replied by leon123 on topic The most beautiful tree
That is a beautiful tree Moss. The lichen is really striking.

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129936 by link774
Replied by link774 on topic The most beautiful tree
Thanks for the litchen info, guys! Yes, I am still in Stamford for the next few months. I am moving to Boston in July. I have never seen the Stamford museum, is it any good? I've lived here for about 3 years. Know of any good climbing spots around here?

- Link

More
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #129991 by markf12
Replied by markf12 on topic The most beautiful tree
Link,

Try the trails behind the museum. I haven't climbed there, but there are some big beeches and oaks that'd probably offer a good climb. Only problem is getting in there; it costs way too much to park a car at the museum these days. You might also check out the Bartlett arboretum a bit farther north, or the Pound Ridge reservation even farther north in Westchester county. The Mianus gorge (a Nature Conservancy holding) is also just north of town - but I don't know about their policy on climbing. Mind you, I haven't actually climbed at these places (I left town a long time ago), but they are the places I used to hang out at to get a "tree fix".

Of course, once you get to Boston Moss can show you around...

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds