Tree Climbers International Forum

Register today!  Website registration is required to participate in our Forums. Register now and start posting your comments!

New climbers! These Forums are not intended as a substitute for professional tree climbing instruction. Please do not use them for that purpose. We urge you learn the fundamentals of safe tree climbing by taking a “Basic Tree Climbing Course,” or by purchasing TCI’s "Tree Climbing Basics” DVD or online BTCC.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: how do i get into canopy reseach

how do i get into canopy reseach 10 years 7 months ago #131334

• sgalvi
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi. I am a professional tree surgeon working in the U.K. I love climbing trees but fancy a change. I was talking to a friend who told me about canopy research but I have know idea how to take it further or who to talk to. I spent some time in the jungle a phew years ago and would love to go back as part of a Scientific teem.
Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated. Thank you, Stu
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:how do i get into canopy reseach 10 years 7 months ago #131370

Hi Stu,
I tried searching the net for canopy research in the UK and didn't come up with much. If you find anything in the UK I'd be very interested to know!

Michael

Re:how do i get into canopy reseach 10 years 1 month ago #132029

• caldera
  • Fresh Boarder
well i've joined this forum, and hope to get into tree climbing, for this very reason.

I'd say you'd have to do an environmental science/conservation biology degree @ uni

or atleast go talk to those folk.

what jungle have you explored ?

I really wanna get into tree climbing over in Borneo, study the canopy,ect.. in an effort to halt the destruction of these amazing eco-systems.

Re:how do i get into canopy reseach 10 years 3 weeks ago #132347

michaeljspraggon wrote:
I tried searching the net for canopy research in the UK and didn't come up with much. If you find anything in the UK I'd be very interested to know!

Michael

Here are two websites that give some information about canopy research interests in the UK and beyond.

The Global Canopy Programme http://www.globalcanopy.org/index.php

Canopy Access Limited http://www.canopyaccess.co.uk/

Lots of information and I haven't had a chance to look at it all yet...

James

Re:how do i get into canopy reseach 9 years 7 months ago #133404

• Ceiba
  • Fresh Boarder
If you want to do scientific research in canopies, you'll want to either do it through a University yourself or work with a scientist who is studying the canopy. I'm currently researching tropical canopy epiphytes (plants that live on other plants) in Panama and can tell you that there aren't that many canopy researchers out there. One website to try is the International Canopy Network (ICAN) in Washington State, USA. There is a list of current research, education, outreach etc. (academic.evergreen.edu/projects/ican/ican/)

Good luck!
Time to create page: 0.615 seconds

Visitor Login