Pine tree with one live lead and one dead

• bristoblue
  • bristoblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #137895 by bristoblue
Pine tree with one live lead and one dead was created by bristoblue
Hi, I need some advice. I took a tree climbing course using knots and harness. I have done quite a few climbs over a few years but never done any serious cutting for maintenance purposes. I have a pine about 60 feet tall with one lead dead and need to cut some, the other half of the tree is same height and appears to be ok. I saw a video of a tree guy going up a pine with a strap and spike boots. Short of having these boots, is there another way to climb a tree like this to cut the top out? Anyone around Charlotte that climbs with spike boots?

Thanks, Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #137896 by patty
Replied by patty on topic Pine tree with one live lead and one dead
Hi Scott,

If you want the pine tree to live, it is not appropriate to use leg spikes to climb it to prune out dead wood. Leg spikes create wounds in any tree; for a pine tree, the smell from these wounds will attract pine bark beetles, which will attack and kill the tree. You can also make it more difficult for the tree to recover from pruning if you don't know how to make proper pruning cuts.

In addition and critical to your safety: Are you sure the tree is in good condition? In your training, did you learn how to identify tree risks and hazards? You must be able to answer this question clearly and with no doubts before you climb. Even tree workers with long years of experience get hurt or killed by taking chances. Please don't.

I would respectfully urge you to learn more from reliable sources (a great many videos on YouTube, etc. are not reliable!) before you attempt to do tree work without much training. The information provided by Jeff Jepson in his books, The Tree Climbers Companion, To Fell a Tree, and Knots at Work is a perfect place to start. The Companion is indispensable and considered the "Bible" for tree workers. The other books are equally valuable. You might also consider our "At Home" (online) Basic Tree Climbing Course.

patty
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by patty.

• bristoblue
  • bristoblue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #137897 by bristoblue
Replied by bristoblue on topic Pine tree with one live lead and one dead
Thank you Patty!
Just want you to know that I'm tree friendly. My thinking was to use rope and harness to get up 25 feet to where the tree splits so as not to damage the live part. The dead lead already has beetles so I will try to get an expert out to look at it. I will also watch more videos but i can see this is out of my league. Thanks again, Scott

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds