• briand787b
  • briand787b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #137253 by briand787b
2 New Climbers, Need Suggestions was created by briand787b
Hey Everyone,

I'm a new climber who just bought gear for me and my girlfriend (also new to climbing). I bought a 200' New England Safety Blue rope with the intention of cutting it into 120' and 80' sections so that she and I could climb simultaneously on different ropes, yet in the same tree. Before I cut it, I started to question whether this was a good idea, considering we're beginners and she would probably not like it if i just tear off into the tree and leave her behind (or vice versa). On the other hand, i feel like having two sufficiently long ropes would provide redundancy in case she or I get stranded and require assistance from the other. If anyone who rec climbs with beginners has an idea of what to do i would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: The other option I was considering was to cut the rope into a 150' climbing rope and a 50' extra long lanyard for secondary TIP and/or conifer climbing. If you have better options I would love to hear them.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by briand787b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #137256 by Nimbadon
Replied by Nimbadon on topic 2 New Climbers, Need Suggestions
Hey Brian, welcome to the forum
My advice would be to get a second rope and hook up with some experienced climbers in your area
Be safe

More
9 years 1 month ago #137270 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic 2 New Climbers, Need Suggestions
Hey new climber,
I think you should go for the 150 foot/ 50 foot lanyard option. Get your gal a 150 foot rope too. You'll have hell to pay if you leave her grounded while you monkey around. Get it?

What kind of training do you have? Get TCI'd $20 DVD and you and your girl can learn together. It's much easier two folks learning together than a solo learn.

Where you at? What kind of trees you got. Tell us here. Hey, there might be a climbing partner right around the corner. So introduce yourself here if you haven't already.

Cheers
Treeman

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tree-D

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds