2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous

• optimusclimb
  • optimusclimb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 6 months ago - 17 years 6 months ago #128459 by optimusclimb
Replied by optimusclimb on topic IT'S TIME
If you haven't registered. You can still register via phone or email. But by 11am CST tomorrow the count for meals will be in. So get in touch with me before then. I stay up late, So you can ring me. Or just email me for instructions.

At the bottom of this registration form is my contact info:
Registration Form

Hope to see you there,

Lw

Climb On!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128475 by moss
I'm forced to bail on the rendezvous by a work deadline. I am sooo bummed out! But, my Boston climbing pal Paul Buck will be attending. Please give him a warm welcome! I'm psyched that he will get to meet and climb with everyone. Paul and I have climbed together many times so he can dish on whether I'm a total climbing nut or just mildly deranged. It might be woth asking him how many times I fired my Big Shot before getting a line in a big old maple recently. Hint: he probably lost count.

Looking forward to the time when I can meet and climb with all of you.
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128476 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
MOSS COME BACK!!!!

I thought I was finally gonna get to put a mossy face to that mossy name :(

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128481 by nickfromwi
Replied by nickfromwi on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
So there're no 100-150' trees here, right? It seems like we'll be climbing shorter, wider trees. I'm guessing some pines that are pushing 100'.

Just trying to decide if I want to bring my ascenders...

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128482 by dougroberts
Replied by dougroberts on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
Hi all this is my first post to make it to the forum(but not my first attempt). I just wanted to mention Treeman's new DVD. If someone has a laptop player, perhaps he could be persuaded to demo it at the gathering. It is a great training tool for beginers. (Think Christmas gifts)Of course I am biased, as I shot and edited the DVD.:D

Walks with Wind

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128533 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Rendezvous news?
Any reports from the Rendezvous for us poor souls who couldn't go? Photos? Anything? Looks like you're having great weather! And perhaps have zero web access from the treetops and then again why would you even think about posting when you could be climbing or splicing or drooling over gear?
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128552 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic My Rendezvous Report
Sixteen brave climbers participated in the 2006 Rendezvous. We have reps from California, (NicK), Texas (Oldtimer) Oregon Tim, Viola with New Tribe and Rob with Pacific Tree Climbing Institute. From Georgia, Treeman & Gary, Virginia ( Rocky & Bob Wright), three or so from MS, Dale, Lance and Lumberjack, even a Lady from British Columbia and one Climber from Boston! The facilities were very nice and conformable ( we upgraded to the A/C rooms) in a Very nice Colonial Southern Mansion next to the climbing areas. The trees very challenging (some with poison ivy) and of many species. The more knowledgeable climbers will post names and more specifics on the trees later. The "classes" were mostly well organized and interesting in many topics. Tim's class about "Entering on Tree Time" ( Climbing blindfolded) was well received and everyone had a great time in the Splicing classes with Nick.

The monster Zip line across the lake was interesting but a little bit too challenging for the average Climber. The cost of the gear used on it was calculated well over $5000,00 bucks but what do you expect when you have 3 young enthusiastic Professional Arborists with time and money on their hands. Overall The 2006 Rendevous was Great! I made new friends, Climbed nice trees and had lots of fun.
I want to express my appreciation to Lance with Tree Climbing MS for his generosity and diligence in tranporting us to the Airport and back and to the operators of the camp for the great facilities and the good food. Yum, Yum, Southern style food!
Some pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83574643@N00/?saved=1

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128553 by Electrojake
Replied by Electrojake on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
Oldtimer, Thank you for checking in!
I for one am very curious about how the 2006 Rendezvous went. As fellow members of “The Brave 16” get back home and get settled in, I hope to see some photos and others “wordy” posts on this event.

It must have been GREAT!
Thanks again for the post,
-Ej-

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128593 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Rendezvous Pictures Anyone?
I am surpized that the other Participants to the Rendezvous have not comented or posted some of their pictures. I know they took pictures while I was there and I would love to see them soon.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128594 by moss
Replied by moss on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
My Boston climbing friend Paul Buck debriefed me on the Rendezvous. He had a great time and enjoyed meeting and climbing with everyone. He mentioned the blindfolded climb with Tengu and the splicing session with Nick as highlights. Any photos of the blindfolded climb?

I'm glad to hear that Ponderosa is already talking about next year's Rendezvous.
-moss

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128595 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
Here is a brief look back on last weeks RTCR.
Im headed off to a mini regional tree climbing gathering
with Tree Climbing Canada. I hope to write more when I get back.

click on slide show
http://homepage.mac.com/treekster/PhotoAlbum26.html

keep balance,
tim

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128597 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous

Originally posted by Oldtimer
I am surpized that the other Participants to the Rendezvous have not comented or posted some of their pictures. I know they took pictures while I was there and I would love to see them soon.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get here..I have been playing serious catchup at work due to the time I spent at the Rendezvous.

Quick report...the accommodations and food were superb...as was the weather. This was my first chance to get together with other climbers in a learning and sharing capacity and it was a great experience.

Desi [Desiderio] (Oldtimer?) and I made an early climb together at the ropes challenge course. When not rescuing a stuck throwweight we were using our ropes to access the "playstations". I made my way over to the trapeze and Desi roped his way up to the leap-off station for the trapeze.

Let's see if some of these pictures come through...Nope, pict did not upload...so go here to see what I can turn loose so far:

http://layton.smugmug.com/gallery/2008483

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

• Carolyn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128598 by Carolyn
Replied by Carolyn on topic 2006 Rendezvous
As a new climber I was thrilled to attend this year's rendezvous. It was a privilege to be among such experienced climbers. Other connections were made through splicing with Nick (4 hours & 4 blisters later I had a great splice), bamboo yoga with Gary (what is it really called??) Mississippi knowlege from Dale and split tail climbing with Bob. The highlight for me was the blindfold climb facilitated by Tim. It reminded me of why I was drawn to tree climbing in the first place. The awareness of my senses and the tree's became so alive that there was no difference between the two. This is what keeps me longing for the trees!! Thank you Paul and Viola for the shared tree climbing experience in the beautiful water oak. It was a privilege to meet and personally thank Treeman for TCI. I will try and post some pictures later. Thank you Lance for hosting this great event. I would highly encourage any new climbers to attend one of these rendezvous in the future.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128599 by pantheraba
Replied by pantheraba on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
10-4 to all that...Viola was a great person for New Tribe to have representing them. Her class on how to set up a TreeBoat was very well done...I will eventually get a Boat.

She encouraged folks to give her ideas to make the New Tribe products more usable and I am sure she went away with several good ideas.

Carolyn, you did an excellent job of holding your own with all those folks...that was cool that you not only got introduced to split tail climbing but got to make and climb on your OWN split tail...how cool is that?

The yoga we did is Dhanda Yoga (bambooga to Nick!!). The Dhanda is one of the major yoga systems of an overall system called Bando Yoga, which comes from Burma. Bando Yoga also includes Letha (partner) and Longi (rope) Yoga).

I enjoyed sharing that with those who were interested. I would like to get some pictures of our group stretching...from whoever has them.

Gary Layton
near Atlanta

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #128601 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Thanks for the Pictures
Hey Gary
Thanks for posting the pictures. I am glad they came up pretty well. Specially the ones on the trapeze. Hope to have another chance to visit with all you guys again soon. Looking forward to see more pictures from the other participants to the 2006 Rendezvous.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds