• optimusclimb
  • optimusclimb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127919 by optimusclimb
2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous was created by optimusclimb
Here we go!

Where: Camp Bratton Green Canton, MS (20 min. North of Jackson, MS) Schedule flights into Jackson International

When: October 4th - 9th. (the 9th will be for folks that need to fly out on Monday instead of Sunday)

How Much: $375.00 (Lodging and Meals included in this fee!)

I have a flyer with full details and registration form in the works at this very minute.

All Climbing courses will be extra.
We will have vegetarian meals also for those that choose!

This was brief I know but the flyer will have the rest. Anyone wishing to give a presentation or ask more please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I will be checking this as often as possible

The flyer and registration form will be available at www.treeclimbingms.com as soon as it is complete.

Climb On!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127923 by moss
Replied by moss on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
Great news, thanks for posting it!

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #127929 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
Well now! Bloody Good Show my Chap!

Jot us down for two first class accomondations and we will arrive as soon as decency allows.

TreeTramp
&
StanMan

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128004 by TreeTramp

• kinooni
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128046 by kinooni
Replied by kinooni on topic 2006 Tree Climbing Rendezvous
is this gathering available for anyone, regardless of where they recieved their instruction?
how many people attend this sort of thing?

I just found this site and am excitied to see that there are other climbing nuts out there.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128057 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Rendezvous Attendance
Hello Kinooni, Welcome to the TCI Board. I have attended a couple of those get togethers in last two years. The Second Get together in Nebraska there were about 30 people plus some that came for a day or two. On the last one in Oregon . There were about 50 plus people with additional ones that came for a class or two and some that came and camp outside the Rendezvous Hotel. There were 3 or 4 from France one from Taiwan a few from California and many from Georgia, Kansas city, Texas and the North West areas. They have been very productive, informative and a good way to meet a group of Very Nice People. I hope we can pull it together this year again for another great Tree Climbing get together.

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128059 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Workshops.
I will lead a tree hazard identification workshop. It will include a field walk and handout material. You will be able to ask questions of course. Learn how a professional certified arborist sees trees and get a clearer understanding on what to look for before hoisting yourself up into the tree.

A workshop about rescue is being considered. Is anyone interested in this?

We need other program ideas for the 2006 Rendezvous. Now is the time to speak up.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128060 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic 2006 Programs
I would like to take a class on Rigging Techniques and/or Safety Rescue "the dummy" Not that I am planning to have to rescue a dummy but just in case.

There were some offerings in the last meet that were interesting. Always a begginners class, an intermediate rigging and tree camping protocols. Facilitator class for those in the teaching mood.
Some of the lectures on buying gear and their use similar to what Tom Dunlap gave last time. Tobe Sherril, Sofia or Viola someone from New Tribe is nice to have for the night programs. The history of TCI and the future of Tree Climbing by Peter was nice too. Those are my suggestions. Hope some of the others will provide ideas also. Since this year the cost of attendance is significantly higher the classes need to be priced accordingly otherwise class attendance will be lower.
No more discussions on "Rules" and "standards" they got kind of heavy last year and there was not agreements after all the discussion

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128061 by moss

Originally posted by Treeman
A workshop about rescue is being considered. Is anyone interested in this?

We need other program ideas for the 2006 Rendezvous. Now is the time to speak up.

I'm interested in the rescue workshop, can never get enough rescue training and practice.

SRT self rescue techniques? How to rescue another climber using an SRT tie-in?

A Big Shot workshop might be useful, I'd be happy to demo my new pulldown/release setup. I'll be doing that anyway, it will be a 10 second workshop, don't blink or you'll miss it.

How about a tree I.D./biology workshop/discussion?

Nature photography in a tree? Rigging ideas, setting up tripods or other ways to stabilize an SLR camera in a tree for macro, landscape or telephoto work. Blinds for wildlife photography in the tree, possibly a modified treeboat?

Participatory night climb workshop. We'll be doing that anyway :-)

Splicing! Is Nick coming?

Tree ballet! Demonstration of swing techniques for in-tree or tree to tree traversing. Is Climber 020 coming?

Throwbag tricks, all the nifty ways we manipulate throwbags in the canopy. Also, how to reach your maximum potential with hand throwing. Is JimK going to be there? Will Abe show us why he'll never need a Big Shot?

We'll have to add a few more days to the rendezvous.
-moss

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128075 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Class costs or no.
I do not plan on charging for my workshops. I do not know about others as far as costs are concerned.

Moss- your big shot demo sounds great. How about something on birds in the trees? You are VERY accomplished on this subject. Photography sounds great too- just make sure you do that subject when I am not teaching so I can be there.

Are there any others willing to step up to the plate in providing subjects of interest? Now is the time to tell us so we can put you on the agenda.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128079 by TreeTramp
Replied by TreeTramp on topic Rendezvous Workshops
Put my name down for a workshop for any of the topics below-

Topic- tree entry arts

Topic- canopy platforms both open and covered-"TreePee"

Topic- Swings and Things

Topic- Self-Advancing Hitches and Devices

WOW= we will need more days.

See you at the top,
TreeTramp

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128083 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic Workshops at the 2006 RTCR
Great suggestions from everyone.

Here is a heads up on some of the activites, classes and workshops being presented at this years rendezvous.
More to come....
if anyone would like to do a presentation please u2u or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The workshops are at no additional cost, but remember that the instructor is donating their time and expertise.
A tip jar will be available at every workshop, please give what you can.

Course-
Basic Tree Climbing Course - by Abe Winters
Learn all the basics on how to access, explore and enjoy your backyard
tree with one of the worlds leading authorities on recreational tree climbing.
Class will start at 1pm on the 4th of Oct.
A 2 1/2 day course with materials and certificate upon completion of course.
cost- $400.00

Workshops that will be held during the Rendezvous - (more to add later)

Tree Hazard identification - by Peter Jenkins
Learn how the Treeman checks the health of the trees he climbs
and what is expected for a certified tame facilitating tree.
2 hour workshop

Enter into Treetime - by Tim Kovar
Learn to use your other senses while climbing. This workshop will guide you
into the deeper levels of treetime. You must be experienced with traditional
DRT climbing and be able to tie all of your notes blindfolded.
4 hour workshop
class size limited

Climbing with Bob Wray - by Bob Wray
Come and experience the "Way of the Wray". Bob has a very unique way of introducing
tree climbing to his students and the public. His teaching and approach to the trees
is a little different than the other tree climbing instructors that are out there. If you haven't had a chance to
climb with Bob, don't miss this opportunity.
4 hour workshop

The Dan and Stan Show - by Dan House and Stan Stalnaker
These KC boys have been attending tree climbing gatherings for as
long as the gatherings have been around. They are the masters of
homemade gadgets for your tree climbing adventures. No telling what
will be included in this workshop - but be prepared for a mind blowing
experience.
4 hour workshop

TreeBoat Rigging - by Viola Brumbaugh
New Tribes, Viola will be giving pointers on how to properly rig your treeboat
in the canopy along with all the extras that go along with your treeboat.
ex - rainfly, mozzie nets, tents etc.. If you own a treeboat and the accessories
that go with it you don't want to miss the "spiderwoman" in action.
4 hour workshop
________________________________________________________________________________________________

A big SHOW and TELL will happen on Saturday afternoon, if you got something
you want to share with the climbing community, bring it. Time will be limited so
please no "How to rig a piano in the canopy" demonstration.
If interested in presenting a story, technique, or climbing style please find Tengu
as soon as you arrive at camp.

How about a "pimp your treeboat" contest to see who can come up with the sweetest boat in the canopy??
Any takers???

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Night Presentations-
This is becoming a favorite at the RTCRs. This years talks will include guest speakers
from TCUSA, TCI, NewTribe, TCColorado, TCTaiwan and others.
There will also be an "Open Mic" night, if you have something to say this is the time.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I just got word from Lance, TCMS, that more information is coming. I thank you all for your patients.

My request to all the climbers out there is to please help spread the word about this years rendezvous and lets watch our tree climbing community grow.

I hope everyone is as excited about this years gathering as I am.

see y'all in Oct.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

More
17 years 8 months ago - 17 years 8 months ago #128086 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Nice Update
Thanks Tim for the update.
I see things are coming along nicely with the program preparations. Any Idea of the types of trees available at the site? Any pictures from Anyone? (How tall and big canopies, etc.) Inquiring minds want to know. Looking Forward to the October Rendezvous!

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128100 by moss

Originally posted by Treeman
Moss- your big shot demo sounds great. How about something on birds in the trees?

I'll do my modified Big Shot demo during the show and tell.

When I arrive on the site I'll check out the bird situation, might be some late migrants moving through, should be some interesting resident birds and wintering birds coming in. I can lead an impromptu birding climb if there is enough going on bird-wise and I can fit it in between everything else.

In-tree nature photography can wait til next year, I have yet to translate what I do on the ground into the trees.
-moss

More
17 years 7 months ago - 17 years 7 months ago #128106 by tengu12
Replied by tengu12 on topic New workshop added
Great News!

Nick Araya, expert splicer and a great friend of the Rec. Tree climbing community, will be hosting a rope splicing workshop at this years Rendezvous in MS.
Some of you may have some of Nicks wonderful work already, but if you'd like to learn how the master does it - this is a workshop knot to be missed.

Nick mentioned that class size is limited and the students must bring some of their own tools.
The splicing workshop will last about 4hours.

Here is the "what to bring list";

scrap pieces of climbing rope
good pair of scissors
sharpie
roll of masking tape
small measuring tape
awl, to pull strands

Im sure Nick is watching this thread, so if you have any questions please post them here, as others may have the same questions.

Oldtimer-
to answer your questions about the trees on site-
Peter and Patty are planing a recon mission down to Camp Bratton Green in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the Treeman will give us a report on his findings when they return.

I hope to see y'all down south.

Keep-Balance
Tim 'tengu' Kovar

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds