Ouch

• Hazman
  • Hazman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #131745 by Hazman
Ouch was created by Hazman
I was climbing a eucalyptus i was using a bow line for my attachment from my harness to the rope and i clipped a spare rope onto and took my weight of the rope and the bow line came undone and i fell 20 ft and broke 5 bones in my arm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #131751 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Ouch
Sorry to hear that you got hurt. The bowline is not a goood knot for life safety conditions unless it is backed up by using the Yosemite Tie-off. Tree climbing is a very dangerous operation without the proper technique and training, but i guess you already figure that one out yourself.
Hope you recover fully .

More
15 years 9 months ago #131759 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Ouch
Your post surprised me a bit, Hazman. As a rock climber, I would never tie-in with a bow line. The figure of 8 knot is the safest way to go, for the exact reason you mentioned - they can come loose when knot tension is released.

Did your fall happen recently, or were you reporting a past tree climbing experience to help us save our own necks? (arms):laugh:

i fell 20 ft and broke 5 bones in my arm.

Pssst - Hey buddy, you only have 3 bones in your arm. (I whispered that so no one else on the forum would hear!;))

Hey, Austrailia huh? If you're down under, does that mean you climb in the opposite direction from us? Interesting to think about.

Only joking with you mate. Hope you're OK, be safe!

More
15 years 9 months ago #131767 by michaeljspraggon
Replied by michaeljspraggon on topic Re:Ouch
What about your carpel tunnel and your funny bone? :laugh:

• Hazman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #131772 by Hazman
Replied by Hazman on topic Re:Ouch
arm/hand

• Hazman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago #131773 by Hazman
Replied by Hazman on topic Re:Ouch
arm/hand

More
15 years 9 months ago #131774 by Baker
Ah, that's a different. In that case you have 30 bones, hand and arm combined.

Look on the bright side, your percentage of broken to non-broken bones is WAAAYYY lower now.:) Hope everything heals well for you.

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #131784 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Ouch
Hazman wrote:

I was climbing a eucalyptus i was using a bow line for my attachment from my harness to the rope and i clipped a spare rope onto and took my weight of the rope and the bow line came undone and i fell 20 ft and broke 5 bones in my arm

Hazman, I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. It's probably small consolation to know that you could have easily died if you were up higher in the tree or had landed badly from 20 ft.

Can you post more details about the situation leading up to the fall? It's very helpful to climbers out there to understand what conditions lead to the accident. For instance, what type of rope were you climbing on? Details that would be helpful are:

1. Rope diameter
2. Rope construction (12 strand, 16 strand, 24 strand, static kernmantle, arbo rope?, other?)
3. Or if you don't know the construction who is the manufacturer and what is the brand?
4. What climbing technique were you using (SRT, DdRT, split tail or traditional, what kind of hitch?)

Additional info:
A pro climber that I know who was trained in Britain uses a Bowline to anchor their rope to the carabiner that attaches to their harness. They use a separate split tail for their friction hitch. On a recent climb they tried 11mm 24-strand arborist rope and noted during their pre-climb harness check that the Bowline wouldn't set properly. The climber immediately switched to a Double Overhand Noose (or Scaffold Knot). They normally climb on 16-strand 1/2\" arborist rope.

There are several knots that are better for this purpose than a Bowline. Any climbers who are teaching themselves need to be asking a lot of questions on the tree climbing forums. Basic safety protocols were not followed in the two serious beginner accidents that have been reported on this forum. Having background in other climbing disciplines is not sufficient preparation for tree climbing.
-moss
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by moss.

More
15 years 8 months ago #131786 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Re:Ouch
Hazeman
I don't know many climbers that use a bowline knot for their main tie in. I agree with Moss, other climbing disciplines do not always apply to tree climbing. TCI has a DVD- Tree Climbing Basics, that might be of good use to you if you are self taught. A better idea would be to get some training, even though it costs money. (You are worth it by the way)!

Beware eucalyptus trees. By nature they are brittle. Again, trees are different from the rock climbing world. They break, die, and topple over- part of the intrigue of tree climbing. They also move in the wind- that you will never find in rocks.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

More
15 years 6 months ago #132065 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Ouch
In the \"Tree Climber's Companion\" (2nd Ed) there is a table on page 68 where both the bowline and the clove-hitch get checkmarks in the \"tying in\" column. I'd think they definitely deserve asterisks or question marks there. I'm sure the author is not thinking that a mere clove hitch should be used alone -- but there it is in the table. In fact shouldn't every \"lifeline knot\" be defined as one that includes a safety stopper? The figure-eight is probably the only knot that might not need one.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132066 by Baker
In rope rescue we back up the figure 8 with an overhand or double fisherman too

More
15 years 6 months ago #132067 by Baker

More
15 years 6 months ago #132075 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Ouch
Baker wrote:

Is that why the TCI DVD shows a stopper below the Blake's hitch?

More
13 years 1 month ago #135236 by Treezybreez
Replied by Treezybreez on topic Re:Ouch
That sounds painful. :( I hope you have a full recovery of your arm.

I prefer the double fisherman's knot as my working end tie in point. Although I have heard and tried the triple fisherman's knot it was a bit bulky.The double fisherman's knot cinches down nicely so the carabiner is less likely to have the gate side loaded.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds