Overall rating 

Type of Use 

Frequency of Use 

Durability 

Ease of Use 

Safety 

Strength 

A little awkward for me

I LOVE the work Rock Exotica does, but for whatever reason this carabiner drives me bonkers. Like many climbers, I have a LOT of carabiners (Petzl ball locks, DMM Ovals, ISC Gator, ISC Mighty Mouse to name a few). After just a little bit of use, they all open instinctually for me. The pirate eludes me, however!

This might not be a fault of the Pirate. All the other carabiners mentioned opened by turning and pushing the gate. The Pirate is turned and PULLED. So the others I don't even have to think about. This one I have to look at, mentally register that it is different, then proceed. Otherwise I fumble with it. I don't like any fumbling when I'm 60' up!

Other than that, I LOVE this carabiner. It is VERY well built, has smooth action, a secure locking mechanism, and is ORANGE! Not only that, and I'm not sure how to describe it, but the gate doesn't hinge straight in to open it. It hinges off to the side which opens up the gate just a tiny more making it easier to clip onto wide things (like the front SRT loop on my treeflex harness)

If your brain can handle a little changeup, I think you'll like this thing.

love
nick

Comments

Ordering 

Visitor Login