Overall rating 

Type of Use 

Frequency of Use 

Durability 

Ease of Use 

Safety 

Strength 

Petzl Am'D" Ball Lock carabiner

I have had these 'biners since my first gear purchase in 1993. Even though the locking collars on mine are made of plastic, and I was tempted to rate 4 for durability, in my own personal experience, they rate a 5. They are awesome for a number of reasons. (They make 'em with metal collars too now - I cannot tell by the image which one is pictured.)

The ball lock system works beautifully, is easy, and also safe.

The plastic collars themselves are smooth and are less likely to snag a rope or strap. The smooth nose, which is kind of a "given" with Petzl 'biners, makes routine clipping and unclipping a little easier than a wire-gate carabiner.

There is a "thumb print" molded into the plastic depression where your thumb goes on the ball. I just think that's cool.

I have had these up in trees for months as part of false crotch rigs, and they come down (not by themselves) after wintering up there and they're no worse for the wear.

Great 'biner! Was not aware that Sherrill contracted a custom one with a larger ball. The next set I order I am going to try the all-metal ones. I wonder if they are going to phase out the plastic ones now?

Comments

Ordering 

Visitor Login