Overall rating 

Type of Use 

Frequency of Use 

Durability 

Technical Skill Required 

Ease of Use 

Portability 

Buckingham Falsie - 48" - Aluminum Rings

This is a very handy piece of gear. Color coding allows easy ID of wide/narrow side for removal.

The rings are very fat and provide a perfect friction-reduced glide for any climbing line. I do not worry about them coming into contact with the tree and torquing and possibly fracturing, like I do with carabiners in a web sling false setup. You would have to be abusing this thing with destructive intent to compromise the rings.

After reading the Sherrill 2007 Master Catalog (only about 200 times) I learned a new application for this false crotch - using it with a Prusik that allows length adjustment. I have not yet, but intend to try it, in a "wire-core lanyard" scenario. My current flipine is homemade from Yale XTC Fire, and while it works well for most situations, during a take-down it's a little tricky to maneuver. I am hoping this 48" Buck falsie (or a longer one) would serve better because of its semi-rigid nature.

The aluminum rings are very light - so much so that for the first year or so I thought (like an idiot) they were made of some tough polymer. Then after talking with the people at American Arborist they set me straight.

I only give it a 4 for durability, because it is NOT idiot proof. I would NOT let it fall to the ground onto a hard surface like asphalt or concrete. Rings are aluminum and I wouldn't chance it. Mine is still in great shape after years of use, usually left up in trees for extended periods. The colors are a little sun-bleached but still very identifiable.

I gave it 3's for Skill and Ease of Use because I personally have never tried to set it like the instructions describe. (Instructions are very good, by the way.) Usually I just get up there, tie on with my flip line, then re-crotch with this. But certainly, setting it from the ground is not as easy as the leather sleeve cambium saver, which is a no-brainer.

5 for Portability. It's easy to carry on your saddle, clipped and hanging at the ready. Just make sure you have an oversize pear if you expect to get both rings clipped into the same 'biner. Also stuffs easily into a carry-all.

And you can shorten it by changing the way you hang it around the crotch. If the limb is narrow and I don't want the rings to be too far away from the tie in point, sometimes I wrap it around away from me, bringing both ends back around and crossed over on the far side of the limb like an X.

I would defintely describe a cambium saver as a "must have" for any tree climber. I don't know if I would necessarily say this particular one is a mandatory piece of gear, but I would not do without it.

Comments

Ordering 

Visitor Login