Puzzling over saddles

• Davej
  • Davej's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132381 by Davej
Puzzling over saddles was created by Davej
Looking at these saddles I'm curious about the belts around the waist. My old lineman style saddle has a belt that opens up entirely. With most of the new ones you step into them? How loosely does the outer belt with the delta-link fit? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132382 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Puzzling over saddles
There is an additional belt, with a stainless steel double-pass buckle, behind the delta link loops. If you remove the link, this saddle will open up completely too.

The difference between regular buckle belts and an NT is that the NT has infinite adjustment. The leather belt is limited to what hole makes it fit best before or after you've eaten!

So many of your questions, including this one, can be answered for you if you order the TCI Basics video. :) This commercial message brought to you by all the friendly folks at Tree Climbers International!!!!!!!!!!
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Baker.

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132384 by Davej
Replied by Davej on topic Re:Puzzling over saddles
No, I have the TCI DVD and I've watched it and I remember Peter getting into his belt, but I'm curious about the looseness of the outer belt. The inner belt is adjustable but the outer belt isn't. So then how loose is it? Do most people unhook the delta link or just step in? Thanks.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132385 by oldtimer
Replied by oldtimer on topic Re:Puzzling over saddles
After having bought 4 new Tribe saddles of different models in the last 7 years I believe that if you get the right size saddle for your waist you would never have to open the Delta in order to step into the saddle. I have noticed in some instances that climbers order the smaller size saddle for their size and they HAVE to open the delta every time to get in the saddle.

My first one was a large Basic Saddle and it was easy to wear and take it off after the climb becaue of the light duty back belt. The second one is also a Large but the Ultralight has more padding along the back similar to the Tengu Saddle. and I ordered it with soft D-Rings that have worked great without all the noise associated with the the old saddle with metal D-rings. I also own a \"Medium\" Size saddle for my visitors friends and I have to open the delta in order to get into that one ( too small for my size 36 waist but it works also.)
The most recent purchase is a Tengu XL that definitely gives a much better fit around my waist and I purchased it because it was on Sale at New Tribe and I realize you never have too much gear! hehehehe.:laugh:

Hope this helps you in selecting your new saddle.
Read other similar reviews of gear in the Gear Review section of this site. :cheer:

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #132386 by Culinarytracker
Replied by Culinarytracker on topic Re:Puzzling over saddles
I have to open up my pear link every time I get into my Tengu saddle. I ordered a small, because my size was the borderline between small and medium. I thought that I wanted the harness to fit snug, but any more I wonder if I wouldn't have been happier with the medium.

I have had problems with the pear link refusing to thread. New Tribe quickly sent me a replacement without question when I complained.(I just like those guys :) ) I still need to send the defective one back. I bet it would be nice to be able to just step in and out of the waist belt.

The waist belt also is not designed to fit tight. This little bit of looseness lends to the comfort of the new tribe harness I think. I can pivot around and move inside the saddle as well as if it had a big rope bridge like the tree motion saddle does.

just my 2 cents,
Carl

P.S. Even with the size small, the Tengu is as comfortable as a couch. I have no complaints :)
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Culinarytracker.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132387 by Culinarytracker
Also, the interior belt that is adjustable is not crucial for life support. I always loosen it up a bit after I get on the rope. It's most useful to hold the saddle on my waist while I'm hooking up the leg straps and such. And even still, our 12 year old daughter, (who is quite skinny) can still wear this harness and do the \"Spiderman hang\" without any worries.

Carl

More
15 years 6 months ago #132388 by oldtimer
Carl, It appears to me that the saddle you got is TOO small for your size. If the saddle is still fairly clean try to return it to New Tribe and change it for a MEDIUM size. (Ask New Tribe before you return it.) You will have a better fit and an easier way to put it on and take it off without having to mess unscrewing the Delta link.

I am surprised they did not asked that question and offered that idea before they sent you the new Delta Link. I see this problem with many of the climbers I have encountered in the many Rendezvous. I do not see why they try to order the smaller saddle if they all cost about the same.

There should be about 4 to 5 inches separation in the front between the two sides of the back support as they come in front of you in the front across your stomach area. If there is more separation than that your saddle is too small for you. You can always cinch the adjustable beltto be as tied as you like it in either saddle.

Since the saddle will last several years you may want to be able to grow into in case you put some weight. ( I actually have loss weight with all my climbing but you get the idea. )

Good Luck

More
15 years 6 months ago #132389 by oldtimer
Dave's Quote \"Do most people unhook the delta -link- or just step in? \" end of quote

No, you should not need to unscrew the Delta to get into the saddle if you get the right size of Saddle. Most climbers are able to just step into it and pull it up like your pants and adjust the adjustable inside belt.
The only time I have to remove the Delta is to take the Saddle apart to pack it in small bag for Air transportation while travelling.

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132390 by Culinarytracker
Ok, I rigged up a spot to hang from a beam in my basement. I've taken a few measurements and everyone else is sure that I've lost my mind. :)

There is exactly 9\" separation between the ends of the padding on the waist strap. With effort, I can wiggle out of it without opening the pear. Putting it on without opening it is out of the question. So I'm sure you're probably right, I should have the medium. But I've had this thing since May and probably have 40 climbs under my undersized belt. I wouldn't feel right sending it back even though it's in excellent condition.

It's plenty comfortable for me as well. Although It may not work out too well with winter clothing. I almost picture it inside some layers of clothing somehow.

Anyone ever thrown some Carhart coveralls over their saddles? :)

Carl

More
15 years 6 months ago #132391 by Baker
Replied by Baker on topic Re:Puzzling over saddles
I think I posted this a while back in the Gear Rater section.

It was snug, and depending on how much clothing I was wearing, I could pull my Tengu up over my hips without undoing the delta. The added distance I gained by changing over to a pear from the stock delta link made this considerably easier. Now I Just roll the pear 90 degrees an pull the saddle up!

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132396 by Davej
Culinarytracker wrote:

Ok, I rigged up a spot to hang from a beam in my basement. I've taken a few measurements and everyone else is sure that I've lost my mind. :)

There is exactly 9\" separation between the ends of the padding on the waist strap.)

Now how is this measured? It almost sounds as if the pear (or delta) is more than 9 inches across, which obviously it isn't. Thanks.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132398 by oldtimer
Here Is a photo that I hope will explain what I was talking about . The Green padded part of eh saddle goes almost completely around the climber' mid-section if he saddle is large enough. ( large saddle)

Now on the smaller side saddle the mid section is not long enough to go around the climber's mid section ( small size saddle).
See there is more space across the front of the saddle padded sides maybe 8 inches.

That is what I was talking about. I think the saddle should be large enough for the climber to actually be able to fit inside w/o having to unscrew the delta link

• Davej
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132399 by Davej
Ok, so let me try asking the question a different way -- if you put your saddle on and pull the pear/delta away from yourself -- for a properly fitted saddle how many inches should be between the inner belt and the pear/delta? Thanks.

More
15 years 6 months ago #132408 by moss
Replied by moss on topic Re:Puzzling over saddles
I'm in between size small and medium on an NT saddle. With a small I have to take the screw link off especially in winter (more clothing) to get in and out of the harness. A medium NT harness is just too big, I can climb in it but it just doesn't work great for me. When I bought a Tengu I had New Tribe do a custom belt based on a size small, the padded loops that hold the pear are extended out a little extra to optimize the fit.

I wouldn't want to put my harness under coveralls, I'd lose access to all the gear loops etc.

Once you get into a tree on a harness it's not returnable. However if you get a size medium NT you'll have an extra harness to take a friend climbing. You can never have too many extra harnesses on hand.
-moss

• Culinarytracker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
15 years 6 months ago #132409 by Culinarytracker
I like the idea of extending the loops. It seems that if my belt were much bigger, the side Ds would be pointing forward instead of to the side. Maybe I'll mess around with some kind of extender to test the fit.

I tried the coveralls. And I must say, Carhart has impressed me.
Though it may look a little lewd, the pear is perfectly positioned to line up with the zipper if you pull that bottom zipper up a bit. AND the side Ds are perfectly positioned to stick out of the second pocket (the one that just reaches inside the coveralls.) The bibbs might be a bit better for mobility as well as being able to regulate your body heat however. And with a little sewing, all accessory loops could be accessed, or extended or something.

From an insulation stand point, the coveralls or bibs would keep you warmer if they aren't compressed under the saddle. Probably wouldn't be a concern if you're actively climbing, but if just hanging out and relaxing, it could get pretty cold.

Carl

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds