Setting lines in high trees- 100 plus feet- without getting busted.

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122908 by treeman
How does one best set a line high in a tree if Ranger Rick is close by? I want to hear from others what devices they use to get lines high in a tree if Ranger Rick is there to bust you for illegal weaponry like crossbows, bow and arrows, and scary looking Big Shot sling shots. What quiet Ninja method would you use? Trained squirrel? Air gun? Wrist Rocket? Fishing rod and reel? Are there any innovative techniques I am unaware of sitting here behind the TCI keyboard? An inquiring climber wants to know.:)

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122919 by nickfromwi

Originally posted by Treeman
What quiet Ninja method would you use? Trained squirrel? Air gun? Wrist Rocket? Fishing rod and reel?

Funny you should mention that. I have my degree in psychology from Ripon College ( www.ripon.edu ) I have put quite a bit of thought into training a squirrel to set lines. Communication would be by way of hand signals. I know it could be done. One day at work, we cut down a tree that had some baby squirrels in it. We brought the squirrels to the local animal shelter...I wanted to keep one! I knew I'm not ready to try it out yet, though.

Maybe it's just a dream. But then again, maybe you'll see me hopping around one day in and there'll be a little fuzzy tailed line setter hopping around with me!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• redpanda
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 6 months ago - 20 years 6 months ago #122923 by redpanda
Replied by redpanda on topic monkeys
Funny you should mention that. I have my degree in psychology from Ripon College ( www.ripon.edu ) I have put quite a bit of thought into training a squirrel to set lines.

Trained monkeys have been used to collect leaves and flowers for tropical forest botany.

More
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #122998 by nickfromwi
So training a squirrel to climb a tree with a small weight in it's mouth, follow my hand signals to the appropriate crotch, then drop the weight and come back for a little treat shouldn't be too tough!

love
nick

Would you like a lanyard spliced up, or anything else for that matter??? Give me a call- 323-384-7770 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Tom Otto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 years 5 months ago - 20 years 5 months ago #123023 by Tom Otto
What sling shot Mr Ranger? We just climbed that small tree next to the big one and tossed a line into it. Now really, I wouldn't lie to a Park Ranger....

Just make sure you you don't leave the Big Shot, crossbow, etc. laying on the ground under the tree.::D

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125258 by Electrojake
Big Shot altitude boost ? ? ?
Using a standard Big Shot with 2.2mm Samson Zing-It throw line tied to a 10 oz. throw-bag, I can accurately shoot in a line 50 feet. With some luck and a tailwind I might be able to get a 65 foot shot. In dense forest I’m usually shooting almost straight up. Very poor trajectory that way too. :(

So, my question is: If I go to a slightly lighter line & throw weight (like Zing-It 1.75mm line and an 8oz. weight), can I expect a reasonable altitude gain? Does lighter stuff shoot farther???

Note that I am a little fearful of monofilament fishing line. I’m under the impression that it tangles frequently.
Any comments or advice on how I can “get a boost” here?

Thanks,
Electrojake

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125259 by nickfromwi
You will get noticeable height gain by using a smaller diameter (lighter weight) throwline and a lighter weight. The 1.75mm zing-it comes down fine with an 8oz bag...usually.

I'd say no on the monofilament for the reason you just gave. There are tiny braided spectra (or comparable) fishing lines smaller than 1mm in diameter that would be good for this application. They will tangle, too, but not as bad as the monofilament.

Use the tiny line to haul up the throwline, then use the throwline to haul up the climbing line.

Oh, Peter, relating to your original question, I've found that if you can somehow get the big-shot head INTO your backpack (out of sight) the two four-foot ends of the poles can easily be disguised as trekking poles.

love
nick

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125260 by charlieb
Newtribe recommends the Berkeley Fire line, flouresent green(for visibility I imagine), 20lb. test, spectra fishing line on Shimano "Dynabalance type fishing reel which they would attach to a crossbow or compound bow. I use a crossbow with this reel setup underneath. It works great except sometimes you can overshoot, but then you can just step on the line after it passes the desired limb. You can reach heights of almost 150 feet with this. If you're worried about the Ranger, just put this reel setup on a regular fishing pole after you have set the line, then hide the crossbow. Or you could try this reel setup on the fishing pole to actually set the Berkeley line with a fishing lead weight, however, you probably won't have as great a height, but if you can reach the first heigth needed at least then you're out of the woods(no pun intended) with the Ranger.
If anyone needs to know where to get either the line or reel see the Newtribe technical matters part of their site or let me know.
CharlieB.

Safe climbin.
Charlie Brown.

• Rod Justice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125261 by Rod Justice
I bought a couple of extra ferrules from sherrill and cut my 4 foot poles down to 2 foot poles. Transport problem solved.

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125264 by docteric
Just a word to the wise (notice I didn't say "from" the wise).

As a bow hunter I know we have to be very careful lugging a bow or cross bow into the woods. Mr. Ranger can, and probably will, arrest you for illegal hunting. Just carrying these consistutes "prima facia evidence" of hunting. A couple of friends were arrested for just that - no hunting arrows etc. Just the bow was all The Man needed. Plus those blunt tips are hunting arrows for small game (squirrels, rabbits etc).

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125272 by Electrojake
The great thing about this TCI Forum is the amazing array of suggestions, comments, & facts that can be received from a single thread. . .

I’m still not ready to go to fishing line, not just yet. However the EZ-Hang at www.ezhang.com/ is tempting. I also feel the idea of shorter pole sections for the Big Shot is very clever.

And to cap it all off, docteric’s comments about "prima facia evidence" has pushed me a little bit closer to full blown Ranger-Paranoia. <voices?>

Thanks for the input on my questions. :)
Regards,
Electrojake

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125273 by moss
This would require enough open area near the target tree and a light breeze: a kite. Hang your throwbag from the kite with a releasable clip or breakaway light string. Tug on the throwline to drop the bag when the kite is positioned over the tree.

Then climb the tree to get your kite which snagged in the top of the tree :-)
-moss

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125279 by Electrojake
Getting a kite stuck in a tree on purpose so you can have a reason to be in said tree. . .

Although flying a kite in a dense forest might be considered a bit odd, having an explanation for the Ranger as to why you are in the tree in the first place does have some merit.

In the past I have gotten remote controlled model airplanes stuck in trees at the local park. Rather than throw sticks & stones at the thing trying to get it free, I can now use my climbing gear and simply retrieve it!

I can finally justify my tree climbing activities to the Park Rangers! <joy>
I can feel my Ranger-Paranoia diminishing already. ;)

• 3climbr
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125288 by 3climbr
Replied by 3climbr on topic my rig
I really like Berkely Fireline (15lb test = 8lb diameter), which rarely kinks if it is used in a spinning reel. I borrowed the Scott Altenhoff design that matches a spinning reel to a sling-shot.
http://newtribe.com/technical.html
I use 3/4 oz. lead eggs (or 1 oz. if the bark is rough). The general rule about weight is lighter shoots farther, but heavier pulls the line over the limb better.
I can get to 65 feet with this. For higher, I would try the LaserHawk also on the NewTribe site.

Kindest regards,
Robert

• treeman
  • treeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 10 months ago #125331 by treeman
Replied by treeman on topic Laser Hawk
Is this sling shot available now? I heard it was out of production. What other models of sling shot would you climbers suggest?

I have used a wrist rocket in the past with an open faced reel mounted on a half section of a rod and mounted it in one of those plastic tubes designed to hold a rod and reel. I was swamp climbing and the rig doubled for bringing in the catfish for breakfast. You'd be surprised in how many fish you can haul up to your tent while tight line fishing. I must admit that killing fish is a bit harder for me now. I guess I feel the need to keep my karma a bit cleaner, having passed my half way life span point.

Waving from a treetop,
Peter Treeman Jenkins

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds